So, I got nominated by ignite18@MarvelouslyMismatched. Thank you. The catch is, she gets to ask me some qustions. So I decided to take a break from my mound of work to be done and answer them. Here we go.
- If you could hang out with one anime character for year who would it be and why? Hmmm, I would probably hang out with Rokuro Okajima (Rock) from Black Lagoon. Such an interesting setting, such an interesting guy, and a WW2 PT boat. Awesome.
- What anime would you love to see remade or touched up? I would love to see Ninja Scroll redone as a TV series. Kibagame Jubei was a great character and the setting was fun. It would be nice to see it done for TV with less sexual assault and more time for intrigue. I’d also like to see Bubblegum Crisis redone, but it was already redone, so…
- What anime food would you die for? This question is the one that stumped me, but I’ll go with some of Hachiken’s Pizza from Silver Spoon. All those fresh handcrafted ingredients enjoyed outside in Hokkaido. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. (It’s worth noting that although I’ve read Shokugeki no Souma, I’ve yet to watch it. I might have been swayed by one of those incredible dishes.)
- If you weren’t into anime what would you be into? Probably music. I have a Musicman Bass sitting in the corner of my living room constantly mocking me. I’ve promised myself that when I complete some of my current projects I’ll get back to plucking out some bass lines.
- Which anime character would you marry if you could and why? Generally, I stay away from Waifu questions and statements, but I’ll make an exception here. (Don’t tell my wife) I am attracted to strong women, which is both a blessing and a curse. I can list a number of confident and sexy anime characters who would be almost irresistible in real life. The top spot goes to Shizuka Hiratsuka (sensei from My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU). OK, Hachiman, I’ll marry her already! Smart, tender, a great worldview, beautiful, and that car, rawr. We’d have to work on the smoking though.
- What anime character from what anime made a difference to you? How did this character affect you? Ranma Saotome. Wait! Don’t leave! I can explain! You see, I found Ranma 1/2 at a time when I was questioning everything. I had been raised in a very close minded, religious household. Without going in to personal details, in my late teens I had found there was much more to the world than I had ever noticed before. My xenophobic upbringing was clashing against a newfound curiosity and I found myself trying to balance two very opposed world views. Although books of Herman Hesse had a bigger impact, Ranma’s struggles with his own duality and the constant stream of change in Furinkan made an impression as well. It might sound strange, but Ranma’s “bring it on” mentality and his willingness to use (and abuse) his duality was oddly inspiring. I was encouraged to dive further down the rabbit hole instead of seeking solace in a smaller, simpler, xenophobic world. So here we are, pushing 40 and still playing with plastic army men and watching shows geared toward teenagers in another country. Thanks Ranma.
- What anime character would you get in deep trouble with and why? What would you do to earn the anger of everybody or get yourselves in a situation you can’t see yourselves getting out of? Koyomi Araragi from Bakemonogatari, his destructive predisposition towards self-sacrifice would reinforce similar issues I have. Add in all the supernatural attention and a harem that could be the end of any mortal being and I could see things going very wrong indeed.
Disclaimer: As with any questions of this type, ask me on a different day and you may well get a different answer. I might decide to hang out with Major Kusanagi, remake Armored Trooper Votoms, eat any dish from Wagnaria, get into photography, marry Erica Blandeli or Ayaka Kagari, wax poetic about Spike Speigel, and follow my base desires to my destruction with Akeno Himejima. These answers are a snapshot in time.